Saturday, March 5, 2011

Preparing for Little Wars

I'll be running a game at Little Wars again this year on Saturday, April 9. Last year I did the Battle of Ligny. This year, I'll be doing the Battle of Gettysburg: Day 2. The rules will be my Civil War adaptation of Command and Colors: Ancients.

Preparation:

  • I've ordered new buildings to increase the number if my Civil War era buildings (which look different from Napoleonic era buildings). My building scale is 6mm, which may seem odd with 28mm figures, but I'm trying to create a tabletop that represents the entire battlefield, which would be impossible with 25mm buildings. I figure that since each figure represents approximately 300 men, that it actually makes sense that the figures are over-sized.
  • I purchased and based alot of trees
  • I purchased and flocked quite a few new hills
  • I also commissioned a few new units and casualty figures from Scott MacPhee (the genius figure painter who did all of my Civil War figures earlier this year.
  • I researched the orders of battle and starting positions of all units: Each infantry stand is equal to approximately 2 brigades.
  • The final step was to do a dry-run setup on my table. Here are some pictures:
The Luthern Seminary (great building from Total Battle Miniatures in the UK)


Notice the new casualty figures. I plan to place one on the table every time a unit is eliminated. That way, as the battle goes on, and units come off the table, it won't look as empty, and it will be apparent where the hard fighting took place.


Confederate troops of Rodes Division waiting in Gettysburg for their chance to storm Cemetery Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment